Monday, May 07, 2007

A Tale of Three Little Piggies ...

Yes, family ... and friends that are interested ...

It has come time again to make the trip to the butcher shop!! I didn't think about it before we loaded the pigs up tonight - IN THE DARK BY THE WAY!!! but I should have taken pictures. One of the hogs that we loaded - I SWEAR to you I am NOT LYING - weighed about 500 lbs. I will post when they call me as to the weight. When, that hog stepped up into Mr. Joe's trailer, I just knew the back end of our pick-up was going to sink into the ground. That hog was longer than I am tall I bet!!

So, we finally got them loaded ... it took FOREVER!! Obviously no one had been loaded before and having had rain, the trailer was slippery, Roo was buried up to his gorgeous he-man calves in muck, mud, and goo. You know the kind of stuff that you step off in and it literally SUCKS your leg down into the murky, deep, dark! Then, he took a step and you could hear that sucking noise ... UGH!! I hate that feeling!!! Roo finally had to take the big gate and section off the feeder pen, where they would quit trying to go back to the back to lay down. Of course it was pitch dark by this time. So, we rounded them up in a chute type situation with the big gate to the back, a tall panel to one side, and a short panel to the other side leading into the gate of the trailer. BIG PIG tried to come over short fence once, but Mr. Joe had him under control pretty quick. Roo was still stuck in the mud, holding the big gate panel. And me ... I got to be the fearless, hide behind the trailer gate, gate closer!!

Okay, my Rooster is looking sweepy ... I'm off to beddy bye!!!

No comments: