Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Places to Visit …


Hehehe, see my little tractor ... that's what I have to work with out here in all these mesquite bushes, sage bushes, cactus, tumble weeds, rocks, dirt, sand ....

This morning's cuppa liquid hug sure felt good, I left the heater down low last night … it was a balmy 80 degrees here under the mesquites. I had ruggle-rats running to and fro in SHORTS no less!! Asking frequently if it was SPRING … yes, here it is JANUARY the 8th!! And they are asking if it is spring, but then again as we drove through downtown Odessa yesterday on the way to drop off the precious Rooster's Wranglers for their walk on their own starch job, we noticed that the trees had buds, and some were opening!! Not a good sign … the mesquites are smart enough to keep their buds closed and hidden – the omnipotent mesquite knows it isn't sunshine time just yet …


As I sat here enjoying my daily indulgence of coffee, hazelnut creamer, and hot chocolate … yummers, I started reading through the various blogs that I so enjoy reading. As I started catching up on a few back posts to my very dear traveling friends posts at Gone Walkabout this fabulous thought was inspired by her post on where she had actually gone walkabout. So, I started thinking … and from a previous conversation the precious Rooster and I had, I started compiling a list of places we want to go "walkabout".


First on the list is Germany – we want to visit all of the castles and areas that Rooster so vividly remembers from being stationed there … and I want to enjoy the country that my German teacher, Herr Gitchell, made me fall in love with so many years ago!


Then, I started thinking about all of the National Historic sites that there are to visit here … my boys would love a trip to Hawaii to Pearl Harbor … but then, I realized that here I am, a VERY proud Texan, and I have NEVER taken my children to the Alamo! I am so ashamed of myself!! So, here is just the Texas list of places we need to take our children to see …


The Alamo, The Spanish Governor's Palace - San Antonio, Texas


The State Capital, The Governor's Mansion – Austin, Texas


South Padre Island, Port Isabel Lighthouse – Port Isabel, Texas


Caprock Canyons to see the Official Texas Bison Herd!, Palo Duro Canyon, TEXAS! The Musical – Canyon, Texas/Quitaque, Texas (((OOOOH, WEEEEE – there is a LOT to do on that trip!!!)))


Colorado Bend SP, Gorman Falls, Caves, River trip through Canyons – Bend, Texas


Fort Davis – Fort Davis, Texas


Apollo Mission Control – Houston, Texas


Big Bend National Park – Big Bend, Texas


Okay, I need to consider this … and start planning my family some trips. I have to plan these trips quietly, or otherwise SOMETHING will come up where we can't go. Rooster always tells me that quiet spontaneous trips – spontaneous for him, quietly planned by me – are the best trips!

2 comments:

Teri said...

Might I suggest while you're in San Antonio, that you hit the "San Antonio Missions", 5 missions dating back to the 1700s. They are park of the National Park Service. Recommend them highly. And on the drive to SA, stop in Fredricksburg to see the LBL home. Interesting home of a colorful man.

Jess J Jordan said...

OH GREAT SUGGESTION!!

I completely forgot about the missions tour!! Oh, and we CAN'T NOT stop in Fredricksburg ... LOL, that is like a Roo and Jess tradition!!! We love the Hill Country of Texas so much, we'd live there if we could stand the humidity!!